DESCRIPTION: As part of a unique and highly-skilled avionics hardware team, you will manage development lab activities supporting components and subsystems integrated on rocket launch vehicles and spacecraft.
- Manage the day-to-day activities of a development lab supporting research, development prototype, and Production Transition phases.
- Establish processes, equipment, and tools to support lab use by engineering customers.
- Develop and improve processes across engineering, manufacturing, and quality assurance to support hardware through Initial Manufacturing and Production Transition phases.
- Support responsible engineers as peer reviewer, quality agent, and voice of the customer.
- Mentor and educate on engineering product transition guidance and process.
- Provide expertise on engineering design production readiness assessments.
- Establish appropriate design and manufacturing controls to support engineering handoff to operations.
- Perform a hands-on engineering and liaison role between our design team and our manufacturing customers.
- Train and engage manufacturing customers to understand design intent.
- Lead projects to eliminate waste, reduce time-to-iteration, and improve outcomes.
- Drive to root cause, corrective action, and preventive action.
- B.S. degree in engineering or physics discipline.
- 5+ years of demonstrated resourcefulness and execution within complex, rapidly-changing manufacturing environments.
- Desire to work hands-on, both independently and as part of a team, throughout the development and production phases of the product lifecycle.
- Lab management skills consistent with leading a team of engineers and technicians through the complex Production Transition phase.
- Excellent attention to detail and strong task ownership, someone who demonstrates pride in all work and willingness to perform low-level tasks when needed.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to quickly build rapport work with all personality types.
- Experience with ERP systems, work order creation/management, and BOM structures.
- Experience in both development and production environments.
- Applicant must be a United States citizen or permanent resident alien
- Passion for advancing the commercial space industry and human spaceflight.
- M.S. degree in mechanical, industrial, aerospace, or manufacturing engineering.
- Experience with 3D CAD software.
- Experience in small company, startup, or growth transition environments.
- Kaizen, Lean Manufacturing, 5S, Six Sigma, or related training.