DESCRIPTION: As part of a small, passionate and accomplished team of experts, you will use your experience, passion, and judgment, along with informed engineering calculations and tools, to benefit the design and implementation of innovative ground and launch vehicle systems and procedures to ensure launch vehicles and facilities are robust against lightning and related effects, such as high currents and EMI. You will derive responses between the vehicle and the protection system for ground and in-flight environments. You will leverage your collaborative approach to mentor others in maturing company processes and skills relating to lightning, weather, and other specialties. This position will directly impact the history of space exploration and will require your dedicated commitment and detailed attention towards safe and repeatable spaceflight.
- Carry out systems engineering activities in accordance with system engineering standards and practices, tailoring required processes to complete tasks assigned
- Analyze and perform system design of launch site ground lightning protection systems
- Develop strategies and approaches for specialty engineering integration, analysis and verification
- Understand and document system behaviors with architecture
- Conduct analysis and system design of landing platform lightning protection systems
- Perform analysis of induced EMI environments from ground and in-flight lightning strikes
- Develop requirements for electrical and structural subsystems
- Develop test approach and requirements for verification/validation of subsystem designs
- Mature and maintain system analysis documentation and databooks
- Develop and mature Concept of Operations documents
- Participate in gated reviews
- Develop and control launch operations documentation and procedures
- Manage subcontracted specialty analysis consultants
- Minimum of a B.S. degree in engineering or another technical field
- 10+ years system development/integration experience – preferably with aerospace hardware
- Curiosity and background knowledge of lightning, EMI, and weather-related launch system design and analysis
- Knowledge of systems engineering and integration tools and methodologies
- Excellent communication skills, demonstrated ability to work effectively in teams, established history of execution, organization, and integration skills
- Must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident (current Green Card holder)
- Broad physics background and strong foundational analytical skills.
- First-hand experience with lightning analysis which predicts coupling between launch vehicle and associated protection systems and procedures.
- Familiarity with Electrostatics, Avionics, FAA certification process
- Experience with systems engineering tools such as DOORS
- Experience in reliability, maintainability and supportability analysis and execution
- Launch operations experience, including coordination with Range interfaces
Blue Origin offers a phenomenal work environment and awesome culture with competitive salaries, benefits, 401K, and relocation.
Blue Origin is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We will review all qualified applicants for consideration of employment without regard to age, race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, pregnancy, religion, or disabilities. Blue Origin prohibits any form of workplace harassment.